Deadline for applications: 10 April 2021
The Institute of Health and Development of the Cheikh Anta Diop University (ISED-UCAD), Dakar, Senegal, is offering scholarships for Master’s in Epidemiology starting in February 2022. The Master’s Programme is taught in French. The objective of the scholarship programme is to strengthen capacity to conduct implementation research on neglected tropical diseases, malaria, tuberculosis (TB), HIV/TB co-infection and COVID-19.
Applicants must be nationals of, and residentsin, one of the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Chad, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, and Togo.
Funding for these scholarships is from the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR), based at the World Health Organization in Geneva, as part of the TDR Postgraduate Training Scheme. The focus of this training scheme is on Implementation Research on infectious diseases of poverty, including the neglected tropical diseases, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/TB co-infection and COVID-19. The scheme provides training relevant to a career in implementation research. Implementation research is a growing field that supports the identification of health system bottlenecks and approaches to address them and is particularly useful in low- and middle-income countries where many health interventions do not reach those who need them the most.
Further information on implementation research is available from TDR website. The goal of this training scheme is to enhance graduate training capacity and boost the number of researchers in low- and middle– income countries.
Scholarships will be offered for the 2022-2023 academic year for a two-year Master’s Programme in Epidemiology. Following the selection process, the scholarship recipients are expected to enroll in the Programme in October 2021. The programme provides on-campus and on-line teaching, with the scholarship recipients doing a thesis project in their home countries. However, depending on regulations related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the course may be adjusted, for example with entirely on-line delivery. Scholarship
recipients will be enrolled as postgraduate students, and their careers will be tracked through the TDR Global alumni and stakeholder platform, which monitors the impact of the programme and provides networking and opportunities to increase visibility for students and alumni.
For further information on this international scholarship scheme see:
Eligibility for the scholarship
- be nationals of, and residents in, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Chad, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea, Madagascar, Mali, Mauretania, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal or Togo;
- be French-speaking;
- be 35 years old or younger;
- meet the standard University of Cheikh Anta Diop requirements for graduate students;
- be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty;
- agree to satisfactorily complete TDR’s Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on implementation research with a focus on infectious diseases of poverty between enrollment (October 2021) and start of the course (February 2022).
The final selection of candidates will be done in conjunction with TDR, taking into account gender and
geographic representation of candidates from the region.
The scholarship covers:
- Round-trip economy airfare between the home country of the student and Mbour, Sénégal.
- Tuition fees and basic medical and accident insurance.
- A stipend to cover daily basic subsistence including food and accommodation for one person during the stay at Mbour.
- Support for research project/thesis expenses, including travel for data collection in home country.
How to apply
Complete an online application form for Master’s in Epidemiology.
If you experience IT problems with the webpage, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest in the call and you will receive instructions on how to proceed with your application.
Schedule for applications
- Deadline for application for scholarships supported by TDR:10 April 2021
- Notification of admission acceptance to ISED: 31 May 2021
- Deadline for confirmation of acceptance by candidate: 7 June 2021
- Students enroll at ISED: October 2021
For more information
Contact Ms. Ramatoulaye Diakhate, Financial and Administrative Manager, Institute of Health and Development, Cheikh Anta Diop University. Tel: (+221) 338249878, e-mail: email@example.com
Ms Aita Ndoye Diop, Institute of Health and Development, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Tel: (+221) (+221) 338249878, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org