The deadline for applications has been extended until 10th September 2021!
Type: Full time (3 years, renewable contract).
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Reports to: Company President/CEO
Vector Health International Ltd (VHI), a joint venture company between Sumitomo Chemical Co. (Japan) and A to Z Textile Mills Ltd (Arusha, Tanzania) seeks to fill the position of Director of the Africa Technical Research Centre (ATRC). The holder of this position works closely with the parent companies and oversees all research and development (R&D) activities of the Centre, which is located just off Arusha-Dodoma Rd, in Kisongo area, Arusha, Tanzania. ATRC’s mission is to improve quality of life through the development of innovative pest control products. In pursuance of its mandate, ATRC works in partnership with academic, research, regulatory and private sector institutions. The successful candidate will lead a diverse research and product development portfolio in public health (vector control) and agriculture.
This is a senior level position whose occupant will be expected to provide strategic and scientific leadership in research, development, and innovation of new and/or improved quality, safe and efficacious products for public health (vector control) and agriculture that meet international standards. With the assistance of technical unit managers (responsible for vector control, agriculture and chemistry) and the administrative assistant, the Director of ATRC will have overall management responsibility for technical (scientists, assistant scientists and technicians) and administrative staff. He/she will also have the overall responsibility of managing research facilities/infrastructure (laboratories, insectaries, equipment, and field station), as well as budget and expenditures. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with relevant departments of the parent companies and will oversee project confidentiality, prioritization, planning, implementation and monitoring.
Duties and Responsibilities
Direction and Management
- Direct all Research, Development (R&D) and Innovation programs/projects in VHIAfrica Technical Research Centre, from new product proposal to commercialization.
- Drive accountability, consistency, quality, and process standardization across all phases of research and development by providing exemplary leadership and clear objectives.
- To provide leadership in the maintenance of existing ISO 9001:2015 certification status of ATRC and work towards completion of processes leading to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) accreditation.
- To provide strategic leadership and management by developing and regularly updating medium range and long-range strategic plans for ATRC.
- To develop in consultation with clients, annual research projects and to prioritize the projects with the partners/clients/stakeholders and manage resources to meet testing requirements from clients.
- Oversee product evaluation by visiting product trial/evaluation sites as a way to monitor and assess project implementation progress.
- Oversee management of research facilities.
Budgets and Workplans
- In accordance with VHI objectives and in consultation with senior research managers, develop annual R&D budgets and work plans and control expenditure by ensuring that activities are implemented as per approved budget.
Human Resource Management
- To ensure continuous training and improvement in technical skills, competency and professionalism.
- To foster a culture of multidisciplinary teamwork and promote a healthy working environment and good practices.
- To manage and recruit laboratory staff, through monitoring workload, developing proper staff development (training) programs and their implementation.
External Relations & Regulatory
- Develop and maintain mutually beneficial strategic partnerships with research institutions and other stakeholders in the agricultural and public health sectors.
- Attend scientific conferences and represent parent companies in relevant meetings as and when necessary.
- Liaise effectively with international agencies and regulatory bodies including WHO and FAO and stakeholders such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Innovative Vector Control Consortium and the Clinton Health Initiative.
- To draft and manage patent applications by A to Z Textile Mills in cooperation with the company’s patent attorneys.
- To manage the registrations of products with national registration authorities.
- Lend technical business support to parent companies as and when necessary.
Qualifications and Key Competencies
- PhD in medical entomology/vector biology control or in life sciences with at least 5 years’ experience in vector control and/or agricultural product development since attaining PhD.
- At least 5 years’ experience in senior research management (managing projects, human, financial and physical resources).
- In-depth understanding of public health, agriculture and development challenges in developing countries and the technological/product gaps to be filled to create positive health and economic impacts.
- Proven strategic leadership and management of R&D, innovation and product development processes in multicultural settings.
- Proven track record of successful product development leading to verifiable commercial outcomes.
- Experience in negotiating with various stakeholders (research and academic institutions, funding agencies, government departments, regulatory agencies, industry players, NGOs) to facilitate technology/product evaluation and adoption.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively in written and spoken English. Basic knowledge of French and Kiswahili languages is an advantage, but not mandatory.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to build, inspire and mentor R&D teams to achieve set objectives and performance targets.
- Experience in project and institutional finance management (budget and expenditure management)
- Experience in data management, analysis and technical scientific reporting as well as excellent presentation skills.
What we offer
- A leading position in a small R&D team with a unique and focused research portfolio in an international/multicultural environment.
- The opportunity to work with and learn from highly qualified and experienced colleagues.
Are you interested?
If you are interested, please submit your application (cover letter in English), up-to-date CV with names of two referees and their full contact details to: The President, Vector Health International Ltd, c/o Africa Technical Research Centre, P.O. Box 15500, Arusha, Tanzania (email@example.com) not later than 10th September 2021.
Applications shall be submitted by email only.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selected candidate should be ready and available to start working not later than 15th November, 2021 and preferably by 30th September.
VHI is an equal opportunities employer
Don't forget to mention MalariaWorld when applying for this position!